Thursday, April 7, 2011

New Eating Habbits

I found on the internet a diet that claims to stop and in some cases reverse heart disease. I really have no other options since this thing is progressing so fast. We are constantly increasing meds to keep up with the chest pain and keep it bearable. So after finding Calldwell Essestyn's ideas on how to fix the problem I googled some more. I found that his son Rip is an iron man, holds records swimming, and running all over. He swam from Alcatraz to the bay and won that. He came in third in a race that Lance Armstrong took first. The guy is also a fireman. He managed to win over his whole station to eating a plant based diet after a bet of who could have the lowest cholesterol. They found out that one of their fireman brothers had an almost deadly number and combined with his family history he was a walking heart attack. Long story short the guys went on this plant based diet to save one of their own and have stayed on this diet ever since. The diet is great for heart disease, cancer, diabetes and Alzheimers .

I started this plant based diet on Monday the 4th of April. So far so good, no meat, no dairy and no oil! There are two ways to doing it, one way they ease you into it eliminating something each week, cadet style. The other way is "fireman" style which I did. Its all hands on the first day out of the gate. I have had a lot of firsts during this week, Hummus (which I made) , Kale and some fake sausage patties.

First off the food I'm eating is so good! I can't believe the tastes that can come from some of these plants. I have always eaten a well balanced diet but vegetables meant peas, carrots, corn or salad. My first day out for lunch I had toasted bread with hummus spread generously on it, green onions and cilantro on top of that, thinly sliced lemons covering that. My cooked Kale came next piled high with lemon zest on top and a few slices of tomatoes. It was so good! I would never have eaten those things together let alone on a sandwich but it was the most flavorful sandwich I have ever eaten. I got the recipe from Rip's book The Engine 2 Diet. Tomorrow Phil has obliged me with an opportunity to make our main dinner dish vegan style. I think I won him over with my home fries tonight. The potatoes and onions were cooked with no oil or butter but had some of the best flavor we have ever had in home fries (breakfast potatoes), they were also topped with quartered cherry tomatoes...mmmmm.

If any of you were thinking about doing a plant based diet there is a web site that has great recipes. Even if you wanted to just change one or two meals a day that's a huge deal on starting to clean out your system. http://pcrm.org/kickstartHome/mealplan/index.cfm I got my home fry recipe from this site. Now I'm not against eating meat, I cook my husband and son meat every day. My dad is a cattle rancher, its in my blood. But I can't live for my food, I have get my food working for me to live for my son and family. If this is my best shot other than the 18 pills I have to take each day than so be it. Plus its kinda fun to say I eat vegan style. I'm not in the norm anymore...going against the grain. :)

1 comment:

  1. If/when you and Phil are in Seattle, you should eat at Cafe Flora -- it's DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete