Sunday, November 15, 2009

1st place!


This week I went to an EMS conference. It was a good conference except the fact that I missed my kid so much. They offered a skills competition for anyone. Now people at this conference ranged from first responders to Paramedics, I'm in the upper middle of the categories right under the Paramedics. We didn't know what we were getting into, but we did get to meet our patient the night before. He was a SIM man, now he is an earlier model but these things are cool! They talk to you, they have bowel sounds, pulses, heart and lung sounds, the chest rises when he breaths. The newer ones even sweat, throw up blink and the pupils react. So we met our victim...lol, and came back the next day to compete. We went in and it was a full code, meaning he lost his pulse and stopped breathing so we had to do CPR. My partner Darren and I did end up winning the competition, I think it was his excellent intubation. But we were graded against everyone, even the Paramedics. Our reward was some chocolate, and year memberships to St. Lukes Air, which means that I get to fly free if I get in a situation I need life flight, oh and I got a t-shirt too.

1 comment: